Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Day THREE: Peanut Butter Cookies?



I learned a few things today as I was baking...

1. Have ALL of the ingredients on hand.
2. If you're going to substitute an ingredient, know what you're doing!
3. Read the recipe CORRECTLY!!

I came across Grandma's peanut butter cookie recipe. As I skimmed through the ingredients, I noticed I didn't have lard. What can substitute for lard? Crisco? Well I didn't have any of that. Butter? I only had one stick left and it was already being used in the recipe. Oh boy, I really wanted to make this work! So I decided to add 1/4 cup applesauce. A lot of people do that in place of butter because it's healthier. I did it out of desperation. After I mixed the first few ingredients, I realized that I was short on peanut butter too. After scraping every lick of peanut butter out of the container, I was still short. Man, I was definitely not on top of my game tonight.

Kim and Joe stopped over for a bit and I put her to work. I know, I'm a horrible friend, but I was desperate. She said my batter was stickier than normal. Probably because it was too warm. She helped me roll the dough into balls and dip them in sugar... boy, was she a lifesaver! I'd still be baking those things if it weren't for her help!

4.5 dozen cookies later... the taste test.

Kim: They're good, but they don't taste much like peanut butter.
Mo: I never told you, but I was short on peanut butter.
(We all had a good laugh.)

Joe said he liked them, but his opinion doesn't count. He'll eat anything! Jon gave them a B+ but said they might have been an A- if he were really hungry. He's so funny. I thought they were pretty good. They didn't taste like Grandma's, but they were close! :)

5 comments:

  1. What is it with Grandmas and cooking with Lard? 80)

    I'd be interested in trying one. Since you didn't use animal fat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have my mom's recipe for peanut butter cookies that calls for lard also. i don't like making those cookies too often because of the lard, but i have to tell you....they are the greatest cookies i have ever tasted!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this LuAnne?! I said the initials out loud. rdh... ok, she's a hygenist. lkl, LUANNE!! haha Yeah, next time I'd like to make them with lard just to see what the difference is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't type! "hygienist" :)

    ReplyDelete