Thursday, August 26, 2010

Day FOUR: Carrot Cake


After yesterday's small glitch with my ingredients, I figured it was time for a trip to the grocery store. As I unpacked the groceries, I realized I forgot a key component in my recipe today. Where is my head lately?! So rather than make another trip, I switched days and did Grandma's carrot cake today.

It's been years since I've had it, but I always remembered it being moist and delicious. The recipe calls for 'grated' carrots. First of all, do I own a grater? Yes. Ok, so how am I going to grate baby carrots?? Jon laughed, "Why would you buy those for grating?" haha ...I didn't buy them, I knew we had them at home, so I thought "I'll figured it out"! Then I remembered our food processor. PERFECT! It 'grated' three cups of carrots in 10 seconds. NICE! As I skimmed through the recipe, I saw that it called for salad oil. What the heck is that?! And dates... ok, is that a vegetable or a fruit? THEN she tells me to grease a tube pan. What?! I don't remember eating carrot cake that was shaped like a tube! Grandma Val to the rescue...

Salad oil = vegetable oil
Dates are a fruit.
Tube pan = bundt pan

If anything, I'm actually learning something on my journey. I LOOOOVE my grandma's old vocabulary. I would never have known any of those terms if it weren't for these recipes. Who knows, I might need that info somewhere down the line. In fact, I find myself sounding more and more like her with age in her silly sayings or phrases. I love her :)

Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting was a hit! I was fortunate enough to 'deliver' a little piece of Grandma to a few people today. Blessing my friends with Grandma's food means so much to me. I want to live and breath her through these recipes. I just wish she were here when I have questions about them. I know she would've got a kick out of me thinking I would actually bake the bread in a tube. Jon's not a fan of carrot cake, but I give it an A!

2 comments:

  1. Josie and I scarfed it down in just a few minutes. I know that isn't saying much since I tend to be a chowhound regardless. But it really was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up. Glad you enjoyed it though!! :)

    ReplyDelete