Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day SIX: Lemon Bars



Lemon bars... Mmm. Need I say more?? :)

Lemon bars have always been a favorite of mine and I especially LOVE my grandma's recipe! Some are made with just two layers: a crust and a filling with powdered sugar on top. Gma's are made with three layers: a crust, filling, AND a glaze.

As I was reading her recipe, I noticed she didn't note how many bars (or what size pan) it yields. I decided to use a 2-qt oblong Pyrex because I didn't want a 9x13 pan to go to waste. When I was pouring the crust into the pan, I noticed there was a LOT there... so I cut back the amount. After it baked, it grew higher! I pat it into the pan, hoping to flatten it. Then I prepared the filling to the same thickness. I let it cool and glazed the top. The taste was spot on, but the crust ratio was still a bit much. Now I know for next time, the recipe yields a 9x13 pan. I wasn't sure if it needed to be refrigerated right away but Jon suggested I should.

Well, I took it out this morning and it didn't look very appetizing. The glaze looked a little off and the crust was chewy. I was totally disappointed and now I have to throw the rest away. Boo.

It was the first time I had ever made lemon bars and I didn't do my gma's recipe justice. I'm disappointed, to say the least. I guess I know what to do and what NOT to do next time...

- The first picture is me attempting to get a 'pretty' shot of a lemon bar.
- The second is me attempting to cut from the middle to make the 'perfect bar'. It didn't go quite the way I wanted. Oh brother...

1 comment: